Thursday, December 15, 2011

Another Day in Ethiopia

Today was a really long and hard day for me (Kristine).  We started out in the morning to two museums.  When we first headed out in the van a young boy came to my window and told me he was hungry so as the driver started to go I handed him a bunch of candy canes that I was bringing to the orphanage.  We have been told that if you give to one that a mob will surround you and that you have to be careful.  As we continued on our way to the first museum, we were tied up in traffic and had many beggars approach our van.  The driver told me to close the window because he could see I was getting upset.  We have experienced the begging since we arrived but today it was really difficult for me emotionally.  It’s so hard to see the poor and suffering here when we have so much at home.  You so badly want to give but you don’t want to create a mob scene so I found myself just in tears for most of the ride.
 The first museum we visited was the University Museum; we had a wonderful tour guide and learned much about the rich Ethiopian culture.  We then moved onto the National Museum and learned  more Ethiopian history along with seeing fossils, some human, millions of years old.  I forget how young America is in comparison to other cultures.  The Ethiopians are very strong yet peaceful people and it shows throughout their history.
After lunch we went back to the orphanage.  Melat was ready to see us and immediately crawled into Greg’s lap and just stared at him, it was so cute.  I brought some small beach balls and blew a few up and handed them to the older children.   When I handed one to Melat she instantly started to kick it to me, she was amazing.  I think we have a natural born soccer player.  I then got out some coloring books and crayons.  The orphanage director told me that Melat had never held a crayon, but once we showed her how she became an artist coloring many pages.  When I pulled out the sticker and asked her where she wanted it she pointed on the page.  We were both amazed how quickly she was catching on to everything we showed her or asked her to do.  When our visit came to an end we all had a hard time.  She did not want me to hand her off and cried when we left.  I don’t think we will have many bonding issues.
Greg and I were able to rest a little before our guide took us out for an amazing authentic Ethiopian dinner and dance show.  We are now back in the room ready to go to bed so that we can go to court early tomorrow morning.  After we are finished with court we will be able to post photos of our sweet little girl so stay tuned.
We hope that grandma and grandpa made it safely to Grand Rapids.  Thanks for hanging out and taking care of our girls.  Ja and Anniearea we miss you both so very much and can’t wait to get home to tell you all about our trip.  Love you!!!
-- Kristine

(10:44pm Thur, 12/15 Etiopian time)

3 comments:

  1. I love hearing the stories of your adventure. Grandma and Grandpa made it safe and sound. They were surprised to see Miss Annierae at the airport and couldn't wait to hug Ja at home!! I am so sad to hear how unhappy little Melat was when you left. I can't wait until you can bring her to her new home and family and we can all surround her with love!! Keep soaking everything in. We love and miss you!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing your stories! How difficult to see the pain and the suffering of these people! I cry just reading these snippets and that YOU cried - and how hard to leave Melat each day. Stay strong and know that many are praying for you, Greg, Melat, and those who care for her when you are gone. Take care! Love, Judi

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I think we have a natural born soccer player" How could you say such a thing! How long before she gets her Taekwondo uniform? I have a size 0000 with her name on it! Pfffttt Soccer....

    We are excited for you to bring her home too! Be safe and before you know Ill be saying "Remember when..."

    The Flees Family

    ReplyDelete